Tuesday, October 14, 2014

WEEK 16


16 Weeks - Aug 12
[baby is the size of an avocado]

16 weeks

We went to see Dr. Olsen for our 16 week visit. He is such a great doctor! Ryan and I both really like him, which is a plus when he is going to deliver your baby.

This visit, we had to decide if we wanted to do a blood test to tell the possibility of having a baby with Downs or Spina bifida. Going to the hospital we were really unsure if we should even consider the test because no matter the results, the answer would be the same for us, keep the baby. It was an easy decision on our part. We asked the doctor how many women actually get the test done and he told us that in Utah, about 10% of women who tend to be older get it. When he was in California, about 90% of people get the test done. It definitely shows cultural differences. We decided against the test.

No ultrasound at this visit. Just checking the baby's heart beat to make sure it is healthy. As Dr. Olsen put the heart beat checker on my belly he said, "now don't worry, it can take a while to find the heart beat". Right after he touched my skin with it, there it was. And it was amazing the feeling I got. It is definitely in there. Just another reassurance that I am for sure pregnant. I don't know if it will ever become real until I can feel it moving and maybe can see the child. 

The heart beat is at 150 bpm. Normal is between 120-160 for unborn children. Do I consider this a "high" heart beat? Yes, Yes I do. This old wives tale, tells me it is a girl. And so do some of my dreams.

I have 4 weeks until I find out gender at our gender reveal party with our family and close friends. I can't wait to know so I can finally start buying things other than diapers and wipes!





No comments:

Post a Comment