Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Telling Our Parents

I made these little counting blocks that our parents can use to start keeping track of all the grandkids they now have. I cut the blocks and stained them and placed them in the bag so they count our new arrival, and I had to add a cute picture of the ultrasound to the package with tags for who each one was for.



Ryan's Dad: We had anticipated telling Ryan's dad at dinner and it just so happened that Jen, my sister in law, just had a baby and had a dinner for her dad on last Sunday to thank him for helping her with her kids the last week. Ryan and I were unable to go and used this as an excuse to go to dinner with Ryan's dad and his wife. They chose Costa Vida Taco Tuesday so we said awesome and we met them there. As we sat down with our food, I ran out to the car to get the gift. As I came back in with it and gave it to his dad and step mom, Ted almost fell out of his chair. He was blown away. Glori said she had thought that I was pregnant a few weeks ago and just waited for us to tell her. Women's intuition. It was so fun to see Ted's reaction to the arrival of a new grand baby and to hear the excitement in their voices as they gave us advice and talked about the different things happening. My favorite part, other than Ted, was him giving the future father some 'advice'.


Ryan's Mom: This was fun. Ryan's mom has been and will be traveling for the next few weeks. We caught her on the night she came back into town for only 2-3 days. We originally were going to have her stop by our house on the way and see the closet which I have been fixing up. I didn't absolutely love this idea because Larry, her husband wouldn't be there, and we couldn't figure out a good excuse to get him there. It turns out that she would be coming through when Ryan and I were both at work so we told her she could see it another time and that Ryan would be up a little later to take some stuff to his neighbor, PJ. (lies, lies, lies) As we get there he tells me to walk to the door after he goes in and just wait. He would be a few seconds and bring his mom and Larry to open the door and see the surprise. I did. I waited. And waited. And waited for forever about 5 minutes until I heard them at the door. Ryan pulled out his phone and recorded the whole thing so I could see what was going on inside too. It took them a minute to realize what was happening and then they both got really excited and Linda was speechless. We went into the kitchen after and just talked about everything. It was awesome that it was such a big shock for them to hear, which means we were really good at keeping it a secret. :)


My Mom and Dad: I originally had asked my mom to meet me in Brigham city with my dad to go to dinner and to pick up some cakes that I had made for my cousin Kendra. As it turns out they are really popular people and my mom said she would come but she would have Jennifer, my sister's kids. I told her not to worry about coming then and tried for Saturday. Nope, she would have Jaynee, my brothers little girl. So I tried for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. No way! My mom works 12 hour shifts at the hospital all of those days. Wednesdays I don't get off until about 6:30 and my dad wakes up early for work so that wouldn't work. Who knew, Thursday they are heading up to Flaming Gorge to go camping for the weekend where we would be joining them on Friday night. I basically had to give my mother a HUGE hint as to why she needs to leave the kids with Mark and bring dad to come to dinner on Friday night. She agreed to do that and they met us there. As we pulled out the gift, they said they already knew by how adamant I was about them coming to dinner and that it was exciting for us. My mom and I talked about how I was feeling and how my mom was when she was pregnant, which she told me she actually lost like 7 lbs with me. I hope I have that gene. As my parents were leaving I gave them a huge hug and my mom said that when we find out the gender, we will start making some cute blankets for it. I can't wait to pick out some adorable fabric!


I can already tell that this child will be loved by so many people! It will have lots of cousins to play with, a few that will be less than a year older than it. I am excited for all our brothers and sisters to find out! We are the last to have kids on both sides and I think this is such an exciting time for us we want to share our excitement with everyone, but feel it's important that we tell our families first. I will post next about telling our families and the reactions we get.

No comments:

Post a Comment