Friday, February 7, 2014

Grandpa Gleave

Grandpa Gleave passed away this last week.
 
 
Ryan and I were lucky to attend his viewing and funeral where Ry was a pallbearer.
 
He was born in 1920! He had been slowly going down for a few years now so it was expected, but that doesn't make death any easier for me.
 
What my mind turns to during this hard time is Grandpa Gleave's wife. He was reunited with her on January 30, 2014 after about 20 years. What a glorious day! I never knew Grandma Gleave, but from what I hear she was a very special women.
 
 
The memory I have of Grandpa Gleave is at family parties, he was alway so welcoming of me. Even when I didn't know anyone, he sat next to me at Thanksgiving and talked to me the whole time. From that point on he would sit next to me at family get-to-gethers and would just tell me stories of his life, most were spiritual. Tears would fall down his face as he told me these stories and I would try to hold back mine. He had such a great spirit about him. You could tell by his stories that he has gone through a lot in his life and has a very strong testimony because of it.
 
 
At his funeral, his sister spoke.  She is the last of their family left. A few things she said stood out to me but, mainly as she spoke, I could feel that same spirit that Grandpa Gleave had surrounded me. I will never forget that. It was the most beautiful funeral services. She told stories about his life and at one point she said "Mack could not deny the truthfulness of the LDS faith. He may not have always lived it, but he could not deny it." It was true. 

 
This time was a moment for me to reflect on what I have been taught in my life. My testimony really held me together (if you can call crying uncontrollably 'together') during the last week. My thoughts were of the after life and the eternities. I know that our family will be together forever because it's part of His plan. I know there is life after death just like there was before birth. This is not chance that we are all here at the same time or that my mom and dad are mine. He has comforted me in my heart. My family that came before me still lives and is probably continuing the work on the other side of the veil.. They are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our savior for his second coming where we can all live with him for the millennium. What a great day. My testimony has grown because of this single man's stories and I can now add because of his love that I felt and the love of people that knew him at the funeral. I hope and pray that someday I will have a testimony just as strong as Grandpa Gleave's.

No comments:

Post a Comment